Have you ever had another manager in your company come running to you requesting a PC for a newly-hired employee who just started with the company?
This manager may not even have a place for their new employee to sit, but the employee won’t be productive until he or she has a working PC. Even though this emergency clearly is not your IT organization’s fault, you and your team still get blamed if you can’t deploy a PC immediately.
What’s worse is that the manager who failed to prepare for the new employee has created a morale problem within his own organization. Other employees are joking and talking among themselves about how poorly prepared the IT department is to onboard a new employee.
Don’t let this happen to you or one of your managers! Instead, take charge of the situation by organizing and preparing a Standard Operating Procedure to follow when a new employee joins your team. To get prepared quickly and easily, use a New Employee Orientation Checklist.
Make the list, work the list
When it comes to setting up equipment for a new employee, there are several things you want to accomplish such as:
- Getting a cube or office set up and ready for the employee to move in, including a working PC and a connection to a printer
- Ordering equipment and supplies
- Scheduling first day orientation sessions and a meeting with Human Resrouces for new employee paperwork
- Introducing the employee to key components of the business
- Bringing the employee up to speed on what’s going on within the company and the IT support organization
- A quick tour of the building facilities
Using a checklist like the one I have used will help you start a new employee quickly and productively. As an added bonus, this checklist sets the tone that your organization is organized and focused.
Having a working PC on Day 1 is a big deal for employee morale, both for the new employee as well as your existing employees who see what’s going on.
Download the New Employee Orientation Checklist Here:
This download is free to all Toolkit Cafe Registered Members. Please login to download
Not Registered Yet? Click below to “Join Us At Toolkit Café”!
(Once you have logged in, return to this page and refresh your browser to access your free download)